Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Through Tragedy Comes Good

'Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." -- Psalm 57:1

   Our journey has definitely been like a roller coaster ride of sorts ---going uphill, downhill, and many twists and turns along the way. I often think of the song, 'Need You Now' by Plum:

                              "Standing on a road I didn't plan
                                  Wondering how I got to where I am
                              I'm trying to hear that still small voice
                                  I'm trying to hear above the noise

                               How many times have you heard me cry out
                                    "God please take this"?
                               How many times have you given me strength to
                                      Just keep breathing?
                                        Oh I need you
                               God, I need you now."

     The words in this song have often rang true for many of us. Whether standing on a road we didn't plan or completely blindsided by unforeseen circumstances, life can all too often leave us broken and bewildered.  During certain periods, when we find ourselves treading through the darkest moments, it's not always clear how to dust ourselves off and figure out how to rearrange the now shattered pieces. We know in this world bad things do happen to good people all too often, and when tragedy does strike, it knows no race, color, or creed. It is then we must dig down deep inside ourselves to a place we didn't even know existed and muster up every ounce of strength and courage. The many miracles and blessings witnessed along our own life changing passage has forever impacted me in so many ways and has shown the importance of staying in faith, especially in the moments it seemed pointless to do so!
     As we know from many stories in the Bible, sometimes the greatest things can come out after people have went through their hardest tribulations. Look at what happened when Moses was in the desert for forty years. When he finally was called out by God, he went on to successfully complete one of the greatest deliverance missions there is.
      As we all pass through our own floodwaters in life, finding refuge in Jesus is the key to being able to hold our head above water. We have to remember, no matter how tremendous the pain and grief might be, we are still in control of our reactions in those trying times. You may ask yourself, as I did so many times before, "How can I keep going?", "Is there really a light at the end of this tunnel?" These questions can be very perplexing, especially when the tunnel seems never ending. I believe the answers lie in our ability to stay in faith through all of the agony and tears. When it feels as if we can't give anymore and have reached our wit's end, God reveals a way for us to reach the light.
      I knew my son, Maurice's, life was meant to touch others. I hoped his story would one day make a difference in people's lives. Over the years, in the midst of the greatest obstacles/adversities of my life, I prayed for God to show me the best ways to accomplish this.
      I felt God laid it on my heart to start a nonprofit organization that would grant wishes to brain injured children and also to write the book about my son's story. The Maurice Lamkin Jr. Brain Injury Foundation was soon founded www.wishforthesky.com and I then worked diligently to complete, 'Flu Shot Gone Wrong,' an unvarnished account of how my son's life was transformed perpetually after receiving the vaccine and the love, faith, miracles, and countless lessons learned along the way www.flushotgonewrong.com ! At first, I wasn't sure I'd be able to convey the right words or even have enough energy to complete such a task. I thought to myself, How can I do this with no formal writing training ?--- I'm just A Mom ---
      A Mom who finds pleasures in the simpler things of life---that first cool sip of iced tea, gazing wondrously at a rainbow, and tucking the kids into bed at night.
     A Mom who would give anything for her children and never expect to travel down such a tortuous road.
     A Mom guided by God and on a mission to help her fellow mankind and have the story of my precious son heard.
      I soon realized that the book was one of the ways God would use to reach out to people, so for the next year and a half, I worked assiduously at it. Every word I've written has been like reliving our journey all over again. I am still amazed with God's astounding goodness, and He has opened my eyes even more through my writings.
      I am very excited to announce that the official release date for 'Flu Shot Gone Wrong' is March 10, 2015. You can now order copies and e Book download cards on the Tate Publishing website at: https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781633671256 ! My hopes are for people to become more informed when deciding whether the flu shot is right for their child or loved one, and will also benefit from our experience. It is my prayer that Maurice's story will inspire you to never give up and to know, no matter what trials may come against you, God loves you and will never leave your side! God has promised us beauty for our ashes and wants us to lean on Him in our greatest times of suffering. We must always remember that when you stay in faith, God turns tragedy into good.
   "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." Genesis 50:20
     
                                           




No comments:

Post a Comment